How do you really raise self esteem? This week we take a look at all the talk about young people, narcissism and the self esteem movement. Then we answer the question: how do you raise self esteem?
Quick Summary of major points:
How self esteem grows:
- Doing well (achieving your goals), on
- Tasks that you value (are important to you)
How to give effective praise:
- Be sincere
- Don’t praise too frequently
- Be specific – help your child learn what strategies lead to success
- Be careful about attributing success to “smarts” – that can backfire. Try to focus on the effort that went into success
Links mentioned in this episode:
- You’ll love the movie The Incredibles. Look for the various references to self esteem throughout the movie.
- Another review of The Incredibles which also points out the references to the controversy over self esteem.
- Here’s the link to the article entitled, “How Not To Talk to your Kids” by Po Bronson which addresses the self esteem issue.
- Here’s the link to Po Bronson’s great book “What Should I Do With My Life?” on Amazon: What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question