Episode 31: Lemon Slices and a New Face on Mars! Gestalt Principles at Work

PlayPlay

The gestalt principles of perception – how do they work? How do they explain the fact that we sometimes perceive strange things, and how we can appreciate works of art? In this episode I take a close look at why people see a lot of strange things around them – including me. We’ll see images on lemon slices, on Mars, and on building tops. Why do we perceive these things?

Resources on Gestalt Principles

• title= Click here or the image to the left to participate in an experiment I created for this episode. You can run this experiment on your friends, or even use it for a project in class. Have fun with it and let me know if you’ve got any feedback/suggestions. NOTE: The control condition is the “condition 1″ button (random pictures which are unrelated to the man on the horse). The experimental condition is the “condition 2″ button (pictures of animals which should help the viewer see the man on the horse in fewer steps than the viewers who were seeing random photos).
  • Here are a few sites which further explain some of the Gestalt principles of organization:

• Why Do People See Faces in the Moon?
  • You can learn how psychological gestalt principles apply to web design at the Web Design for Instruction site
  • And more about psychological gestalt principles from the Spokane Falls Community College Graphic Design website.
  • [adsenseyu2]

• Here’s the NASA site where you’ll find the “Face On Mars” pictures.
  • ‘Jesus on toast’ just a sign your brain is doing its job
  • Here’s a good site which describes the gestalt principles. It’s from the Interaction Design website.

Comments

1. Paula says

Hey I think ur website is great but I think it needs a little proof of credibility, I can see you really know a lot about the subject but i think it would give it more prestige if you could add your name and your study level.

2. says

Paula,

Check the “About Michael” link under the “Pages” box at the top left. I put a brief bio there as well as a vita that lists my degrees, occupations, etc. You’ll see that I have a Ph.D. in psychology and I taught psych for 10 years at Marist College. I currently work in the area of instructional design at Pearson Education.

Michael

3. monica says

I would like to get lemon slice and gestalt principles video. How can I get and use this in my class to show my students. It does not look like the cd you advertise has this specific thing on CD.
    I have an Ipod if that makes a difference at all. Would like to play them this video in class on a laptop onto a whiteboard.

4. says

Thanks for your interest in the video. If you send me an email (see “About Michael”) with your address I’ll see if I can put the video on a CD and send it to you.

Michael

5. Fauzia says

hey :)!

Thanks!!! I’ll be using your experiment in class on Monday. Will let u know the results:)!

The videos are great too:)!

Fauzia,

You’re going to use the Man on a Horse experiment? Very cool. Yes – let me know how it goes.

Michael

7. Latoya Luckett says

I think they where some great ideas that you came up with i will be using one of them myself

8. roslyn says

I LOVE THE VIDEO AND ALL THE FUNNY PICTURES THAT I COULDNT MAKE OUT UNTIL YOU TOLD US WHAT THEY WERE

9. UNEIKA MITCHELL says

Great slide show…but I couldn’t figure it out. My major is nursing and this is my first time taking psychology, it is very interesting, and a little tricky. I wanted you to know that I watched your video on learning the parts of the brain and it helped me alot. I am a visual person, I always have to draw pictures for test, but your way is the best I’ve ever seen. Thanks
    Uneika Mitchell

10. kkg says

Hi Michael, I just watched your podcast on the brain! awesome! wish we had this idea in college. I’m teaching intro to psych now and would love to show this mneumonic during class. Any ideas of how I would do that? I have great equipment. I usually take a flashdrive to class and use the computer there. let me know what you think.

kkg: send me an email and let’s see what we can do. I think we can find a way to help you get the episode on your flashdrive. – Michael

12. Michelle says

Hello
    I have been listening to you since high school and continue to do so during college. You’ve helped a lot with my psychology course!
    thanks!

Michelle – whoa, you’re starting to make me feel old! :) Thanks so much for letting me know and I’m glad the podcast is helpful to you. That’s what it’s all about for me. – Michael

14. Mineka Hazley says

Hi Michael! I loved the examples in the video. I did have a little difficulty viewing the pictures. Until you showed the pictures in different ways. I never knew about Gesalt Perception, but I feel you’ve helped me to understand it. I feel as though the podcast is very informative as it relates to psychology.

15. Mineka says

I also wanted to say thanks for breaking down Gesalt. Closure, Similarity, and Proximity. Every since I’ve watched the podcast I notice myself paying close attention to things that remind me of Gesalt Perception.

Thanks for all the positive comments. It is amazing how often these Gestalt principles of perception come into play in our daily lives. I was thinking about this the other day when I was looking at someone’s handwritten notes – like a lot of people’s handwriting, there were lots of unclosed letters, yet we can make out the full words because of this idea of closure. Well, glad you’re enjoying the podcast!

17. Daisy says

Hello Michael,
    I thought this was a great video and it really got my mind to thinking. Some of the images I didn’t see at first but when you zoomed or gave a close up I saw them. I didn’t realize as humans how much our brains works but you brought it to my attention. LOVED IT!

18. Gwashayla Durr says

Hello Micheal, iTHINK THIS IS A WONDERFUL SITE &IT HELPS EXPLAIN THINGS BETTER.. THING iDONT UNDERSTAND FROM READING THE BOOK THANKS :)

Gwashayla and Daisy: glad to hear that you’re enjoying the site and the podcast. Thanks for the comment!

20. Rajshkehar says

Hi Michael,
    Can you provide more techniques for memorization and organization of Basic Psychological principles. It will be of great help :)

Rajshkehar: there are quite a few episodes on memorization techniques. Click on the link in the right navigation area called “Search Using Keywords” and then find the word “Mnemonics” and click on it.

22. Adebola says

Thanks for the explanation, that explains why sometime when I stare at the moon, I see images like the face of a person…. it’s just my perception at work.

23. Carmengloria says

Hola Michael, I love your videos and the way you teach. English is my second language therefore it is very hard for me to learn this new vocabulary. I was trying to memorize the parts of the brain, it was really hard, but I saw your videos in you tube and now I am able to remember!!! Thank you, Thank you very much! You are great !!!

Carmengloria

Thanks Adebola and Carmengloria. I listen to a podcast just to help me learn the language too, so I’m glad I could help out in this way. Appreciate your encouragement.

25. jose says

so im a high school student interested in learning psych. currently we are going over perception and illusions, any tips or something so i can better understand how perceptions work and how illusions work?

26. Maxine Vaid says

I learned Erikson’s eight stages of human development through your mnemonics video. I’m amazed at how effective it is. Thank you, Maxine

27. Trelisa Watts says

Hi, i really enjoyed your segment it really opened a door in mind. I really makes me remember reading the back of the apple jacks box.

28. Albert says

Wow this is really useful! Thanks to my teacher and stuff on this website, I think I will do good on the AP Psych test later on!