Episode 102: How to Create an Online Experiment on Eyewitness Testimony Accuracy

PlayPlay

Want to create an online experiment? Here’s how to do it. I’ll show you can create an experiment using two tools: Wix.com and Google Forms. Using these two tools, you’ll be able to get creative and put together an experiment online that others can take. You’ll even be able to collect the data. In this episode of The Psych Files I’ll use as an example a very do-able recent study which shows that people tend to overestimate the height of a building when they are on the roof looking down to the ground than when they are on the ground looking up to the roof.
The explanation for this is that evolutionarily, those who overestimated distances looking down were probably more likely to survive – because they probably backed away from the edge and prevented themselves from falling and killing themselves. Both students and faculty might be interested to see how this study could be set up online.

To learn more about the tool for building online experiment that I showed in this episode, go to the Wix homepage.

Comments

1. John Billingslea says

You put a lot of wonderful effort (intellectual and time) in to creating this fabulous podcast!! I can’t wait to have my students use this for their projects. Thanks for making the 21st century possible.

John: you’re very kind. Thanks so much for making my day (week!). I agree – students and teachers could put together some pretty creative projects using this Sprout tool combined with Google Forms. It could even be – gasp! – fun?! By the way, you’re also doing a great job with your PsychNet site. I highly recommend it to other teachers and students of psychology. Keep up the great work there. – Michael

3. Jordan says

I loved this episode I hope to see more on web and computer tools we can use theses days.
    Im just wondering what are some good concept map programs on the web?
    Thanks

Jordan, glad you liked the episode. There are so many cool tools on the web these days that actually toying with the idea of doing another podcast – this one all video – in which I review these tools.

Right now my favorite concept mapping programs on the web are Co-Mapping (http://www.comapping.com/) and Gliffy (http://www.gliffy.com/).

I have used co-mapping (which used to be called MeadMap) in a couple previous episodes like this one: http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2009/01/episode-83-new-years-resolutions-to-lose-weight-why-so-hard-to-keep/

Thanks again for the comment! Michael

5. Zettt says

Hi Michael,
    Finally I have to make a comment on your site.
    I’m listening to your Podcast for a few months now. (Even I’m no psychologist) And it’s helping me a lot. Not that I learn that much about psychology (OK, I do, but that’s not the main reason why I keep listening), but I learn much about the english language. I come from germany and all your natural common speech helps me very much to improve my english skills.

Thank you for your all your work and the Podcast.
    Andreas

Andreas – glag you’re enjoying the podcast and thx for the note. You’re using it to learn English eh? I can relate to that. I listen to some French podcasts in order to improve my French.

7. Nik says

Hey, love the program and the podcasts, they’ve been extremely informative and entertaining. Being a Psychnut myself (Studying since age 12) I really get wrapped up in the casts :P

Sproutbuilder now no longer offers this service it seems though, is there some other similar application that one could use in it’s place?

Glad you like the podcast. You’re right – Sproutbuilder, unfortunately, no longer offers their service. However, there is an alternative. It’s call Wix (wix.com). I showed how to use it at a conference presentation I recently gave and I recorded a video which is similar to the one above. Here’s the link: http://www.thepsychfiles.com/video/OnlineExperiment.mp4

9. Maria says

Hi Michael,

I liked your video. I am thinking of making an online experiment for my dissertation in psychology and Wix seems a good choice. However, I would like to ask you, does it count the response time? Because my study is on face recognition and I would like to measure the response time in the face identification lineup.
    Are you familiar with another website that might be more appropriate?
    Can participants in Wix write their details in a consent form?

Maria: I think what you’re looking to for your dissertation is probably more sophisticated than what Wix and Google Forms are capable of. I do have a suggestion however. I’ve been learning how to use an online program called ZebraZapps (https://www.zebrazapps.com) that is much more powerful than Wix and with many more options.

The learning curve is higher, but the possibilities are greater with ZebraZapps. There is also a small monthly fee. I would suggest you check it out. I’ve been thinking of doing a video episode on ZebraZapps to show how it could accomplish what I did here with Wix and Google Forms.

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Trackbacks