There has been a lot of criticism of evolutionary psychology lately. How do researchers respond? One of the leading researchers in this field – Dr. David Buss of the University of Texas responds to these critics in part 1 of this 2 part episode. Find out how he responds to these questions: a) is evolutionary psychology sexist?, b) doesn’t evolutionary psychology just give people the ammunition they need to not take responsibility for themselves? c) theories from evolutionary psychology are not falsifiable, this it’s not scientific and d) human society is always changing – it hasn’t been stable enough long enough for any human behavior to have evolved.
Resources on Evolutionary Psychology
- David Buss’ Homepage
- Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind
- The Evolution Of Desire – Revised Edition 4
- Why Women Have Sex: Understanding Sexual Motivations from Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between)
- Human Nature Today by David Brooks
- Why Do We Rape, Kill and Sleep Around? by Sharon Begley