What do you think of hypnosis? Might you be surprised to hear that hypnosis has been accepted by the American Psychological Association? And that there is recent research that strongly supports the so-called trance stare? Hypnosis has a fascinating and controversial history but today it deserves some respect. Still, it’s not a cure-all. Take a trip with me through the history of this fascinating topic on The Psych Files.
Resources on Hypnosis
- Hypnosis: 8 Myths Most People Believe
- Neuroscience gets serious about hypnosis
- The Story of Psychology
- Pioneers of Psychology (Third Edition)
- Kirsch and Lynn 1995 – The altered state of hypnosis: changes: the theoretical landscape. American Psychologist, 50, 846-858
- Interesting article on hypnosis from Discover Magazine
- Thanks to John Mohl, student representative from Division 30 of the APA, for the link to this article, “Important Notice Regarding Hypnosis and the American Medical Association” which informs readers that, as John said in an email, “…the AMA is officially neutral on hypnosis.” John also provided the link to this excellent PowerPoint file, Introduction to Hypnosis. If you’re looking for more info on hypnosis, this PowerPoint is the place to go.
- John also recommends this website, The Willmarth Hypnosis Interviews, where you’ll find video interviews and more info on hypnosis. Thanks again John.