Episode 134: Hypnosis – Myth and Reality

What do you think of hypnosis? Might you be surprised to hear that hypnosis has been accepted by the American Psychological Association? And that there is recent research that strongly supports the so-called trance stare? Hypnosis has a fascinating and controversial history but today it deserves some respect. Still, it’s not a cure-all. Take a trip with me through the history of this fascinating topic on The Psych Files.

Resources on Hypnosis

Comments

1. says

Michael,

This episode was my favorite so far. I enjoyed all the background information as well as the unbiased point of view you presented. I find it interesting that modern day Mesmer’s still exist peddling all manners of pseudo science. I laughed when I visualized Mesmer entering in his purple garb and porclaiming “Dormir!”. You managed to inform and delight with a topic that is quite controversial. I have seen clinical and stage hypnosis and I remain skeptical as well. I can’t wait for the next episode. There are cases where hypnosis has been used to implant false memories but that is another subject. I think, like placebo, it is most effective in treating minor pain. That is simply my unprofessional opinion. Side note I apparentl;y cannot be hypnotised though many have tried. Keep doing these great shows and cudos on your research here.

Joshua,

I’m glad to hear that you liked this episode. I have to say that it’s one of my favorites too. It was a lot of fun to learn more of the details about the history of hypnosis. Fascinating. Thanks for the comment – appreciate it.

Maddie: Happy to help. The way to download an episode is a little hidden and I apologize for that What you have to do is click the play button on the video and then you’ll see a bunch of squares in the bottom left side of the box. Click on those squares and then a new screen will slide in where you’ll see a download button. That should do it. Thanks for your interest!

Maria: Well, stress is hard to deal with. Its kind of a generic word. Stress (difficulty dealing with life) can come at you from all kinds of directions – family, job, the stress from emotions we’re having trouble dealing with. Probably best to get a therapist you can talk to about it.

5. AJ Jack says

I thought the history of Hypnosis was interesting, but I am still not certain of what is actually done to hypnotise someone and what the mechanics of it are. What part(s) of the brain is affected and why? All hypnotic states the same? Has anyone been hypnotised with their head stuck in an MRI? If so what did it show? I think there might be another episode in there somewhere. Alternately do you have any good references you could point me to to answer these questions?

AJ: great idea about having someone hypnotized while in an MRI. I haven’t hear of that being done I have to say, but I don’t see why not. I’ll have to look around and see. I’ll let you know if I find something. Definitely a great question.