Borderline Personality Disorder is a difficult disorder to understand and treat. Briefly, people who suffer from BPD tend to have a heightened sensitivity to rejection. When they feel that they are being rejected they can react with strong feelings of anger. Their emotions can be very intense and vary widely during the day. This can also make their relationships very unstable. They can also be very impulsive. However, a recent fascinating piece of research used a mobile device and what’s called an “experience sampling” technique to gain further insight into what it is like to have BPD. In this episode I discuss that research and then wonder what else we might be able to learn as our mobile devices become even more powerful.
Resources on Borderline Personality Disorder
- Berenson, K. R., Downey, G., Rafaeli, E., Coifman, K. G., & Leventhal Paquin, N. (2011, April 18). The Rejection–Rage Contingency in Borderline Personality Disorder. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/a0023335
- Here’s an excellent site with all kinds of information on borderline personality: the National Education Alliance Borderline Personality Disorder
- An interesting video on Borderline Personality Disorder
- Here is a fascinating story about a recent technology that will, in fact, record your brainwaves and send them to a portable device like a cell phone. It’s called the iBrain.
- National Education Alliance Borderline Personality Disorder
Dr. Low made the iBrain’s EEG data compatible with desktop computers and even cell phones. People with disorders of all types, from all over the world can strap on an iBrain and collect brainwave patterns immediately on their cell phones or computers.
- Peter Murray, Singularity Hub
- ESP: The Experience Sampling Program
- Some good videos on the topic of Borderline Personality Disorder: