A small number of men cross dress and many movies and broadway shows feature cross dressers (the DSM5 refers to as transvestites), so obviously many people find it fascinating and those who cross dress typically enjoy it. Why? What does it mean about the people who do it? I was recently cast as Albin/ZaZa in the musical version of the movie “La Cage Aux Folles” so I’ve been doing a lot it recently. I decided to take a closer look at cross dressing and see what psychologists think about it. Along the way, I’ll also look at some of the ways we determine how or if a behavior, thought or feeling is “abnormal”
Here are my notes for this episode in concept map form: Transvestism
Resources on Transvestism
- How Do You Learn to Act Like a Man/Woman? Gender Identity and Gender Scripts
- Your Sexual Orientation – How Did It Develop?
- APA Stands Up for Transgender, Gender-Variant Individuals
- “NewlyHeather” – a crossdresser who has created a few very well done and very honest videos on YouTube answers the question: Are You Gay?
- “NewlyHeather” provides an excellent answer to the question: Why Do You Cross Dress?
- A Crazy Oculus Rift Hack Lets Men and Women Swap Bodies
Here’s a video called “Transgender Basics” which was suggested by Gabrielle (see the comments below)