Is there such a thing as a person having multiple personalities? What about Sybil and “All About Eve” – did they really have multiple personalities? The idea makes for great headlines and fascinating talk shows, but what’s the real story? I talk about that in this episode of The Psych Files along with giving tips on how to maximize the chances you’ll get help in an emergency and answer the question: is the new generation of teens lazy or is something wrong with the way we’re thinking about them? Another good example of Social Comparison theory.
- Sybil: A Brilliant Hysteric?
- Book: Sybil Exposed: The Extraordinary Story Behind the Famous Multiple Personality Case
- Another great site for debunking ideas that won’t seem to go away: Snopes
- False Memories – How Can Your Memory Be So Bad?
Social Comparison Theory
- How the Cult of Early Success Is Bad for Young People
- Social comparison theory on Wikipedia
- In a bad mood? Head to Facebook and find someone worse off